Author: Paulo Coelho
Excerpt from the book: That’s a risk we’re going to take together, Brida. An anonymous text from the Tradition says that, in life, each person can take one of two attitudes: to build or to plant. The builders might take years over their tasks, but one day, they finish what they’re doing. Then they find they’re hemmed in by their own walls. Life loses its meaning when the building stops.
- “Would you give up everything for that man?” It wasn’t so much a question, it was a choice, the most difficult choice anyone would have to make in life.
- “So what is magic?” she asked. “Magic is a bridge,” he said at last, “a bridge that allows you to walk from the visible world over into the invisible world, and to learn the lessons of both those worlds.”
- He looked at the girl’s eager, trusting face. In his heart, he prayed she would understand what he had to teach her. She was, after all, his soul mate, even if she didn’t yet know it, even if she was still very young and fascinated by the things and the people of this world.
- She had met people who had lost the glow of being alive because they could no longer fight against loneliness and had ended up becoming addicted to it.
- “I have faith in God, faith in my Guardian Angel, who brought me here, and who remains here with me. I can’t explain what he’s like, but I know he is near. I will not dash my foot against a stone.”
- “But how will I know who my Soul Mate is?” You could tell your Soul Mate by the light in their eyes, and since time began, that has been how people have recognized their TRUE LOVE. By taking risks. By risking failure, disappointment, disillusion, but never ceasing in your search for Love. As long as you keep looking, you will triumph in the end.
- “Is it possible to meet more than one Soul Mate in each life?” Yes, and when that happens, the heart is divided and the result is pain and suffering. The essence of Creation is one and one alone. And that essence is called Love.
- Love is the force that brings us back together, in order to condense the experience dispersed in many lives and many parts of the world.
- “We are responsible for the whole Earth because we do not know where they might be. Those Soul Mates we were from the beginning of time. If they are well, then we, too, will be happy. If they are not well, we will suffer, however unconsciously, a portion of their pain. Above all, we are responsible for re-encountering, at least once in every incarnation, the Soul Mate who is sure to cross our path. Even if it is only for a matter of moments, because those moments bring with them a Love so intense that it justifies the rest of our days.”
- “We can also allow our Soul Mate to pass us by, without accepting him or her, or even noticing. Then we will need another incarnation in order to find that Soul Mate. And because of our selfishness, we will be condemned to the worst torture humankind ever invented for itself: loneliness.”
- Choosing a path meant having to miss out on others. She had a whole life to live, and she was always thinking that, in the future, she might regret the choices she made now.
- “You concern yourself too much with other people. They’re a mirror of yourself.”
- That was the wisdom of Soul Mates: they always recognized each other. True love allowed each person to follow their own path, knowing that they would never lose touch with their Soul Mate.
- Love do not grow old along with the body. Feelings form part of a world I don’t know, but it’s a world where there’s no time, no space, no frontiers.
- “For many days, I wondered if that man really existed. In the end, I decided that he had been a real man, a man who had loved me, even if only for an afternoon, and during that afternoon, he’d given me everything he had kept to himself throughout his life: his struggles, his joys, his difficulties and his dreams. That afternoon I gave myself wholly as well — I was his companion, his wife, his audience, his lover. In a matter of only few hours, I experienced the LOVE OF A LIFETIME.
- Love was about everything else and there was no hatred in love, only the occasional mistake.
- “Never be ashamed. Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.”
- “That is what the forest taught me. That you will never be mine, and that is why I will never lose you. You were my hope during my days of loneliness, my anxiety during moments of doubt, my certainty during moments of faith.
- “Knowing that my Soul Mate would come one day, I devoted myself to learning the Tradition of the Sun. Knowing that you existed was my one reason for continuing to live.”
- “You came to me from the slavery I myself had created, to tell me that I was free to return to the world and to the things of the world. I understood everything I needed to know, and I love you more than all the women I have ever known, more than I loved the woman who, quite unwittingly, exiled me to the forest. I will always remember now that LOVE IS LIBERTY. That was the lesson it took me so many years to learn.
NB! Every word from this post came from the book by Paulo Coelho.